Sodexo is seeking an experienced Chef Manager for Texas Southern University located in Houston, TX. This position will assist the Executive Chef in overseeing food production operations for two dining halls and a very active campus catering department. There are over 2,000 students on a university meal plan. The Chef Manager will also assist in product purchasing, inventory count and control as well as hiring, development training in HACCP controls, and shift scheduling 50-70 hourly employees.
This person will be expected to assist in developing weekly menu cycles and assist with any food preparations and/or requirements to best serve those students approved for special dietary needs. The Chef Manager will have skills to conduct inventory, place orders, and provide training to the kitchen staff. The ability to handle multiple priorities is a definite. Reporting to the Executive Chef, the ideal candidate for this position will have experience respectfully supervising and supporting the production functions of kitchen staff, the ability to motivate employees to continually improve performance and outcomes with a passion for preparing and executing outstanding dining experiences. The adherence to proper food handling and proper safety programs and a working knowledge of web-based programs is critical to the success of this position. The Chef Manager will also be expected to maintain food and labor production budget requirements, participate in special event planning and event execution as well as take over all culinary aspects of the unit when the Executive Chef is away from the operations. Ability to work a flexible schedule is a must, with a typical shift from 10am - 7pm.
Is this opportunity right for you?
Are you an experienced chef ready to take your career to the next level? At Sodexo, you will find the ingredients for a great culinary career. With benefits including schedules that encourage work-life balance, reimbursement of association dues and continuing education opportunities, you’ll enjoy an improved quality of life that’s unique in the hospitality industry.
We are looking for candidates who will:
- manage the daily food production including production planning and controls;
- ensure Sodexo Culinary Standards including recipe compliance and food quality;
- manage food costing, controls and compliance;
- develop menus and manage inventory;
- have high expectations for customer service and quality of food;
- have the ability and willingness to develop and train frontline employees;
- have a passion for food and innovation;
- have knowledge of special diets and allergens; and
- knowledge of Dynamic Results from an Integrated Value Engine (DRIVE) is preferred.
The ideal candidate has:
- a strong culinary background, with the demonstrated ability to stay current with new culinary trends;
- excellent leadership and communication skills with the ability to maintain the highest of standards and implements company policies;
- previous experience working in a high volume facility; and
- strong management skills.
What We Offer
Sodexo offers fair and equitable compensation, partially determined by a candidate's education level or years of relevant experience. While the budgeted range for the position is posted, Sodexo salary offers are based on a candidate's specific criteria, like experience, skills, education and training.
Responsible for the day to day execution of the menus & culinary deliverables. May be responsible for smaller units within a multi-location.
- Executes the culinary function.
- Customer & Client satisfaction.
- Handles administrative functions.
Qualifications & Requirements
Basic Education Requirement - High School Diploma or GED or equivalent
Basic Management Experience - 1 year
Sodexo is an EEO/AA/Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran employer.