General Manager - Descanso Gardens
Job Listing: General Manager at the Descanso Gardens
At Sodexo Live!, we take pride in crafting exceptional events at the most prestigious venues on the planet and creating lasting memories for fans, visitors, guests and team members. Working with Sodexo Live! is more than a job; it's a chance to be part of something greater. Here, you'll build a career where 'everyday' is anything but normal.
Our experiences are unique, and so are our people. Bring your personality, your background and your desire to delight others. In return, we'll give you all you need to thrive. After giving it all, you'll return home knowing that you've played your part in creating a truly unforgettable moment.
Location: We are seeking an experienced General Manager for the Descanso Gardens in Los Angeles, CA.
We are an urban retreat located 20 minutes from downtown Los Angeles, Descanso Gardens is a place of year-round natural beauty, with internationally renowned botanical collections and spectacular seasonal horticultural displays. Descanso Gardens welcomes more than 750,000 visitors annually. The principal collections include California native plants and oak woodlands; one of the largest collections of camellias in the Western Hemisphere; a rose garden with specimens from all corners of the globe; and significant presentations of lilacs, maple trees, cherry trees and iris.
Descanso Gardens has been designated an International Camellia Garden of Excellence by the International Camellia Society. The Gardens are operated by the Descanso Gardens Foundation, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, in a public-private partnership with Los Angeles County. The annual budget of $15 million is funded by memberships, philanthropic gifts, fees and support from Los Angeles County.
The General Manager is charged with general oversight and leadership of all food and beverage operations, and in some cases, merchandising operations. They serve as the linchpin for communications, support and resource allocation to optimize unit profitability and meet the day-to-day operating budget.
The General Manager will provide hands-on leadership to facilitate dining experiences that exceed guest expectations, while revenue is maximized and expenses are effectively controlled. The General Manager's highest priorities will be to ensure that Sodexo Live!'s standards for quality, service, timeliness, safety, security, sanitation and regulatory compliance are adhered to.
The General Manager will plan and prepare for events and activities according to anticipated guest attendance and client expectations, will provide hands-on management and oversight, and will direct and support post-event activities, reconciliation and reporting.
The General Manager will establish daily priorities and will direct the on-going activities of department heads in key functional areas such as administration, culinary production, hospitality, warehousing, sales, accounting and cash management to ensure that operations run smoothly, efficiently and in accordance with client/partner specifications.
- Oversees the procurement, production, preparation, service and sale of food and refreshments for all outlets within assigned units.
- Communicates and promotes Sodexo Live!'s culture and values; Provides hands-on leadership and direction department heads and staff.
- Ensures compliance with company standards, client specifications, contractual obligations, and other legal and regulatory compliance requirements.
- Manages the financial performance of the venue through effective control of expenses and through the development, analysis and implementation of budgets, sales plans and forecasts.
- Participates in the recruitment, selection and training processes as needed for assigned unit.
- Identifies and responds to client and customer feedback and assists in escalated situations as necessary.
- A minimum of 5 years of previous senior leadership experience within a diverse, contract-managed food and beverage environment, to include successful management of a large staff and focus on exceptional client and customer service.
- Stadium experience and the ability to handle additional sub-units with high volume quick service operations.
- Demonstrated financial acumen with significant past P&L responsibility.
- Strong working knowledge of food safety, sanitation, and general workplace safety standards with knowledge of Health Department requirements.
- Technologically savvy, with high proficiency in all Microsoft Office programs.
- Demonstrated success in interfacing with a variety of organizational functions and divisions to accomplish tasks.
- Proven ability to work effectively with all levels of staff and management; Ability to promote and participate in team environment concepts.
- Self starter who can work independently and on several tasks/projects simultaneously, and who can contribute to functional areas of the business outside of retail operations.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Initiative in identifying and resolving problems timely and effectively.
- Able to work effectively and safely while subject to wet floors, temperature extremes and excessive noise; must be able to lift up to 50 pounds in weight; must be able to maneuver in an often tightly-quartered environment.
Hours may be extended or irregular to include nights, weekends and holidays.
Thank you for expressing interest in employment with Sodexo Live!. While only those candidates considered for this position will be contacted, your resume will remain on file for 90 days.
Sodexo Live! is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, genetic information, status as a protected veteran or status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable Federal, State or Local law.